Han Solo Costume Shirt
More on Making Han Solo’s Costume:
Han Solo wears an off-white long sleeve shirt with a mandarin collar and a v-neck placket front. Magnoli offers one, but I was confident I could easily make it myself and save money.
There’s a fair amount of debate online about exactly what sort of fabric Han Solo’s shirt is made of. The “A New Hope” costumes were apparently never on display so no one knows for sure. Some people think it’s a linen, some a knit. After studying the movie again and looking at what high resolution photos I could find, I decided on going with a thick knit. The way it pulled at the shoulder and the pilling in this closeup promotional image (below) looked like knit to me. But I suppose the jury is still out.
I ended up choosing an off-white Ponte de Roma knit from what I had available for the weight of it and I also thought it would be very comfortable for my husband. My pattern also called for knit, though I could have bypassed that.
I thought it would be fun to use an authentic vintage 1970’s pattern for the shirt. I chose a McCalls 6609 I found on etsy. It had the required long sleeves and a placket front opening. Really though you could use any similar shirt pattern, I’m sure there are modern ones that would suit.
Here’s the first test muslin I made of the shirt.
After making the first muslin (out of cotton muslin…), I took in the lower part of the arm sleeve width and hemmed it shorter. I changed the collar to a mandarin by basically making the collar half the size of the included collar pattern. I deepened the v-neck by an inch or two (which required enlarging all the placket parts.) Han Solo’s shirt is mostly plain. It has no pockets and no placket buttons. The sleeves should be a little short.
I was pleased with the instructions on the pattern when it came to finishing the garment nicely and working with knits. I’d never worked with knits before and I was a little worried, but it was easy and turned out perfectly fine! I just used a normal sewing machine with this, no serger!
Here’s the finished shirt! I accidentally switched the overlap of the V and if I made it again, I’d probably make the V even deeper, but I’m happy enough with it for now!