Hey Folks,

I beafed up my Rapunzel how-to a some and added it to Instructables for their Epic Halloween Costume Contest. If you love my Rapunzel costume or find the description of how I did it interesting or useful, please VOTE for me! You can hit the vote button on the right hand side of the screen on my Rapunzel page, or you can vote on the contest page.

Thanks a bunch!

For all you GLEE fans out there here’s a free Glee Embroidery file!

With AJ’s help, I made this “GLEEK” Glee embroidery file. http://aimeemajor.com/gleek.hus

Take it for free, share it with your friends, whatever, just don’t charge people for it or make “for-sale” items with it.
One of my director’s daughters really wanted this on her backpack for school so we made it.

Creative Commons License
Gleek Embroidery Logo by Aimee Steinberger is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

My current project is a 1873 Floral Striped Victorian Polonaise! This is kind of a Victorian (19th century) throwback to 18th century style in some ways. The fabric is one that I picked up in Beijing, China and some of my girlfriends have the same fabric in different colorways!

I’m using Truly Victorian’s patterns for it with this overdress and this underskirt.

This is my inspiration board for it:

Here’s the muslin for the bodice.

And then here’s it’s current state. I still have to finish the trim, do the sleeves, bone the bodice and bustle up the back (and make the underskirt… which will be the same fabric as the trim)

Here’s a shot of the trim on the back of the dress:

If you’re curious about the trim, the fabric is a shot taffeta. What this means is that the warp and the weft of the fabric are different colors, in this case, red and yellow. When they’re woven together, it made a peachy color. And as the fabric turns or folds in the light, it changes color to some degree. But if you fray the red threads off one side, you get a yellow edge to the fabric if that makes sense. My late 18th century teal dress is made out of the same kind of fabric and you can see how the trim has a fushia ege to it (because I intentionally frayed it to show those threads.)

So in this case what I did was rip the fabric parallel to the edge of the fabric to make big long strips (following the grain). I pinked the edge of the fabric (with pinking sheers), fray out that edge using my fingers to show the yellow threads, and then gather the fabric.