Get Social With Us
[vc_separator type='transparent' color='' thickness='' up='10' down='10']
- AimeeMajor.com | Kiss the Girl Ariel Costume
4894
page,page-id-4894,page-child,parent-pageid-368,page-template-default,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,vertical_menu_enabled,vertical_menu_with_bg_image,select-theme-ver-2.8.1

arieldanceDEBUT: Anime Expo 2013

I wanted to do another Disney couple cosplay. This time we decided to do The Little Mermaid. I’m enjoying doing embellished costumes lately so I tried to think of ways to make Ariel’s Kiss the Girl costume more interesting to me. I finally decided on doing a custom printed bodice and then using part of that design to make an embroidered border on the skirt.

I made Ariel’s undershirt in a comfortable knit using Simplicity 2766. I made the cuffs tighter around my wrist and longer, but otherwise I stuck to the pattern mostly.

First I drew out the design and then I made it repeating as a damask to use on spoonflower. The damask version I used on my bodice is here, and the border version is here.  I bought 1 yard of the damask in cotton sateen for my bodice.

I made a muslin using 4479 Simplicity (out-of-print Phantom of the Opera Christine pink dress pattern) as a starting point. I flatlined the damask in coutil and boned the bodice on the seams. It laces up the back. I made some bias tape out of the fabric I used to make the Eric pants and bound the top and bottom of the bodice with it.

For the skirt, I decided to make a 3/4 circle skirt using this page’s instructions. I drew out the 3/4 circle skirt pattern onto my fabric with removable fabric marker, but I didn’t cut it out. My friend A.J. digitized my earlier drawing that I used for my spoonflower fabric and turned it into an embroidery design for me. So I hooped my skirt fabric using the bottom hem line as a guide to hoop the fabric around the skirt. I embroidered it on my machine. There were about 32 or so embroidery designs to do so it took quite a while, about a week of non-stop embroidering doing about 5 or so designs a day! It also took a long time to clip all the threads left over by the embroidery. Whew!

To style Ariel’s wig, I bought two of Arda Wig’s Luthiens in Apple Red. I “stacked” the wigs together by sewing them together at the front of the crown and the back of the crown, leaving the sides open to leave the elastic free so as not to make the wig smaller. I then pulled back the sides a bit to pull up into a ponytail in the back. I curled various parts of the bangs with plastic-metal hair curler rolls, hairspray and a hairdryer and then after I got a few good curls the way I wanted, I did some teasing and playing around with it until I had a good Ariel hair-swoop bang.

I made a giant medium-stiff interfaced hairbow and sewed it onto the ponytail by hand.

[nggallery id=175]